Friday, October 11, 2013

Singing Your Meditation

Yesterday, when I outlined some of the ways you can incorporate meditation into your life, I neglected to mention the value of using songs. If you love music or like to sing, finding an appropriate song to use for meditation can be a real blessing. Even if you can't carry a tune, just pondering the words of some of the great hymns of faith ... or some of the newer Praise songs ... can fill your heart with comfort and joy.

If I may make some suggestions, here are a few hymns for you to consider:
Great is Thy Faithfulness
It is Well with My Soul
Because He Lives
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
What a Friend We Have in Jesus

These are only a sampling of the traditional hymns which which we grew up. If you prefer, perhaps one of the more modern "Praise Songs" would be more to your liking. There are so many good ones, it is hard to choose.

Here I Am to Worship
Above All
Open the Eyes of My Heart
The Power of Your Love
Awesome God by Rich Mullens

This coming Sunday our church choir will lead the congregation in singing "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)." I'm using the song for my meditation this week. Here are the words:

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore

Jesus, I'll worship Your holy name
Lord, I'll worship Your holy name

Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
Jesus, I'll worship Your holy name
I'll worship Your holy name

What a great thought: 10, 000 reasons to sing for 10,000 years!
If you haven't heard this song before, here is a YouTube link: http://youtu.be/qcgemftnBo4 
(You may have to skip the YouTube advertisement.)

Whatever song you pick, I hope your spirit is blessed by singing your meditation.


No comments:

Post a Comment