Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Why Time Together Today?

Before we go any further, I'd like to explain why I chose Time Together Today as the title for this blog.
Time: If we desire to grow in our experience of God, we first must make the time. The way to do that is to find the time of day that best fits into your schedule. I prefer to have my 'Quiet Time' early in the morning. I love to spend an hour each morning in reading the Bible, meditating, using a daily devotional guide, writing in a journal and praying. Before the day gets cluttered with other concerns, it works well for me to set aside some time to commune with the Spirit of Christ. I have a special chair ... with my Bible, devotional and notebook at hand. I make a cup of coffee and perhaps a piece of toast. I savor my "daily bread," while I savor my coffee. Maybe mornings are not the best time for you. Perhaps noontime or the evening would work better. You may not have a full hour available. You can start with what you have (15 minutes, half an hour). The most important thing is to be consistent. Make an appointment on your calender. Keep that time sacred ... set apart from the rest of your day ... devoted to being still and listening for God to speak to you.
Together: While our quiet time is normally a solitary pursuit, it is helpful to share what you experience. We gain strength by becoming part of a community. I'm hopeful that we can form our own cyber-community. Even though we are scattered around the world, we can come together on a regular basis. Have you ever noticed that much of the scripture speaks in the plural. The Lords Prayer is a good example "Our Father ... Give us this day, our daily bread ... Forgive us our trespasses ... Lead us not into temptation ..." And think about the descriptions we have of heaven: as a city, as a community with countless multitudes of people from every nation. We are built for relationships.
The other implication is that we are 'together' with the Lord. We are not alone ... ever. Christ's Spirit is always in us and around us. What a joy and comfort to know that we don't have to face what life brings our way by on our own. The time we spend each day, even though no one else is around, can be time we spend together with God.
Today: Let's face it. Today is all we can claim as our own. The past, while significant in forming who've we become, is done and gone. The future, while exciting and promising, is only a dream. We only have this present moment. What we choose to do today--how we spend our time--can bring us closer to our true nature and purpose in life, or it can be wasted ... swallowed up in a 'black hole' of a misspent life.  How will you use today? I'm praying the time we spend together today will be meaningful and fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment