Friday, April 4, 2014

Check the Oil

Read Psalm 5

If you want to keep your car engine in good condition, it's a good idea to check the oil often. If you want to keep your relationship with God in good condition, it's a good idea to check in with Him each day. Many feel that the best time to check in with God is early in the morning: before the rush of the day distracts your attention. Time spent reading your Bible, meditating on the Word, praying and perhaps journaling is never wasted time. This 'Quiet Time' will set the mood for the rest of your day. You will experience God's presence throughout the day, once you've made contact early.
Now that I'm retired, I find it easier to have a morning time with God. Of course, not everyone has this luxury. I know when I was working, I had a hard time being consistent with a morning devotion ... often putting it off until after work or right before bed. Those days never seemed to go as well as the days I checked in early with my Lord.
I would encourage you to make time in your schedule to meet God early each day. As today's reading ... and many other Bible passages ... make clear, it is God's recommendation to meet with Him in the morning. Psalm 5:3, "In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch."
You might need to get up a half hour earlier (which, in turn, means going to be a half hour earlier). You might try to rearrange some tasks (prepare what you'll wear, set the coffee timer, make your lunch) the evening before, so that mornings aren't so harried.
Whatever it takes, just be sure to 'check the oil' every day so that you maintain your Spirit in good working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment