Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Joining the Family

Read or listen to today's devotion at http://odb.org
Bible reading: Galatians 3:36-4:7

At age 11 months I was adopted. As my parent's adopted daughter, I received all the love and attention that a natural child would have gotten. When my parents died, I was entitled to an inheritance.
In a similar way, when we accept Christ as our savior, are 'born again' in the waters of baptism, we become members of the family of God. All other Christians become our 'brothers and sisters in Christ.'
As today's scripture in Galatians makes clear: "You are all sons (and daughters) of God through faith in Christ Jesus." We then receive an eternal inheritance. Jesus' Spirit allows us to pray, using the name "Abba, Father" or Daddy.
As children, we experience all the love, care and attention that God our Father gives to the Son and to all His children. We have a home with God.
Because I was an only child and never had children of my own, I often feel that my Church family is my true family. I give and receive love; I share my life with my Christian family. I've heard some say that they are closer to their brothers and sisters in Christ than they are to their natural siblings.
You have the same opportunity to join the family. Then you can rejoice because you are a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment