Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tempted? Use God's Escape Hatch

Christians may no longer be sin's slaves but every day we are faced with decisions that can lead to sin. We are not immune to temptation. Will we do something we know is wrong? Or, more commonly, will we fail to do something we know we should. Paul expresses it best in Romans 7:15: "I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate." We all face these kinds of temptations over the course of our day.
But God provides an escape! I Corinthians 10:13 holds the key: "There isn't any temptation that you have experienced which is unusual for humans. God, who faithfully keeps his promises, will not allow you to be tempted beyond your power to resist. But when you are tempted, he will also give you the ability to endure the temptation as your way of escape."
What a relief. With every temptation God provides a way to resist. We do not have to be conquered by sin. Christ gives us victory over sin and it's penalty, death. 
Now, I've found in my experience, the hard part is just taking that escape route. I'm sometimes so rebellious, I refuse to use the way out that is right there in front of me. I pray that in the future, when temptations do beguile me, I have the wisdom to use the escape hatch that will never fail to be provided. Christ is beside me and His Holy Spirit is inside me, helping me make the right choices. 
Next time you're tempted to do what you know to be wrong, don't forget to look around for God's escape hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment