Monday, January 20, 2014

Jesus is the Boss

We may think we are the boss. We may make our plans and schedule our time but at any moment our lives may veer off course. What we think will happen today might be completely wrong. Remember it is God who orchestrates the events in our lives. Things may go smoothly or your well-laid plans may be thwarted.
God is in control ... even when (or especially when) the unexpected happens.
Many Christians quote Jeremiah 29:11 as their favorite Bible verse, " 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not calamity to give you a future and a hope.' " Few go on to read the next verse,
" 'Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.' "
We see the trees. He sees the forest. We may think He has sent us a calamity but he always has our best interests at heart. I especially like how The Message paraphrases Romans 8:28, "That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good." 
As long as our lives are lived as a love letter to God, He will make sure all that happens will be for our good. Not that we'll like everything He does. Sometimes discipline and hardship are good for us. Sometimes trouble and pain help develop character and perseverance in our lives. But often, He gives us something even better than we were expecting.
Isiah 55:9 and 11 tell us, "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than you thoughts.  So My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it."
Jesus' job is to send the commands. He's the boss. We are the workers. Our job is to keep on trusting ... keep on loving ... Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment