Thursday, January 2, 2014

My friend Jesus

As we come into God's presence each day, we put aside our chores and daily cares to simply sit down with a friend. For most of my life I've addressed our Savior as "Lord" or "Christ." But this year I want to learn to call him my his name, "Jesus." We don't call our close friends by their last name or by their official title, such as Doctor or Esquire. When we speak to friends, we use first names. And above all else, that is what Jesus is to me: my BFF (and I do mean Forever.) He has asked me to be his friend. How can I ignore that invitation?
In today's devotion in "Jesus Calling," by Sarah Young, we are reminded of the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:39-42. Martha had an important guest in her home, her Lord and Savior, and so we can understand that she'd want to have everything perfect for him. But her sister Mary was content just to sit at the feet of her friend to hear what he had to say. Luke tells us that Mary chose what is better ... something that will not be taken away from her.
Household tasks can wait. Errands can be put on hold. Right now, we can choose the better part ... to sit with our friend and listen to what he has to tell us. What a privilege to have a conversation with our friend, Jesus, something that will never be taken away from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment