Saturday, January 18, 2014

Rocky Path Ahead? Jesus Gives You Deer Feet.

Our journey through life is bound to hit some rough spots. No life is completely free of bumps along the road. We each face our own particular stumbling blocks and challenges.
But take heart: God doesn't want you to face that rocky road alone. Habakkuk 3:19 paints this encouraging picture: "The Lord is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds' feet. And makes me walk on my high places." (If you're wondering what a 'hind' is, the word refers to a female red deer.)
While I'm not a Biblical scholar, I am curious why God chooses the image of  female deers' feet. Why not a Billy Goat or a strong buck? Maybe because a female's legs are more fragile ... they are slender and more easily broken. That is certainly how my legs feel when I walk through rough territory. Because I am weak, I have an even greater need for God's help. He is the strong one, not me.
When we keep our eyes lifted up, looking into the eyes of Jesus, the rocky path doesn't seem so treacherous or scary. And look where he's leading us. Not on the smooth valley floor but up into the mountains. Our 'high places' are where we meet the most rewards and joy. It is from the heights that we can appreciate where we've been and see what's ahead. There is something thrilling about reaching the summit. When Jesus makes the journey with us and stands beside us at the top, it is even more exciting.
Some of us are afraid of heights: both physically and spiritually. We prefer the safe and secure route. But with Jesus holding your hand, you don't have to be afraid. II Timothy 1:7 assures us, "For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline." Don't cling to the tried and true. Have courage. Strike out for the high ground ... with Jesus at your side.
A note: there is a wonderful book by Hannah Hurnard, "Hinds Feet on High Places." This story about Much-Afraid, Sorrow and Suffering in their struggle to follow the Chief Shepherd to the High Place is a beautiful allegory about changing weaknesses into strength and fear into faith. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment